Friday 28 October 2011

voice text messages - I.Q. B4 I.T.

So there’s this ability on clever phones now that allow you to speak into the phone message like “tell Joan to bring coffee to the meeting today” instead of texting it with your fingers. This apparently is brilliant.
I’m just working out that say that saves... er...two seconds in time in someone’s day.  As a percentage of time in a 8 hour working day that 2 seconds saved out of 28800 seconds.  Or 0.007% (ish).  I’m trying to work out the exact productivity opportunity that gives people.
The speed of technology in message sending can only ever go as fast as the time it takes for us to either say the message or text it.  It can’t get any faster as I can’t say what I want any faster. Are we not finding things for phones to do now? what happens if I say "send re-enforcements we're going to advance" and the message recieved is "send three and four pence, we're going to a dance" (or other such pithy anecdote). Are we not finding things for our phones to do? Has I.T. gone before I.Q.?
What I’d like to see innovative thinking into working out how to get a better quality experience when people are together with all that extra seconds or so of time.
Horrendous to think that Joan will spend the first 2 minutes of the meeting explaining to everyone over their latte how she got the message on her phone as sent by a text message from her colleague.

Me, note-pad, not i-pad.

just a thought for a friday...


No comments:

Post a Comment