Wednesday 4 September 2013

CAN WE STOP GOING ON ABOUT APPLE AND STEVE JOBS - AGAIN!

CAN WE STOP GOING ON ABOUT APPLE AND STEVE JOBS - AGAIN

It’s been cited SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many times anything Jobby is academic.

I switch off if anyone mentions him or the business.  I believe you can learn absolutely nothing from the Apple story business whatsoever.  I have lost count of the number of clients who have said to me “what we need round here is our version of the i-pod” or “I want to be the Apple of [business discipline]”

 
Utter crap.

There is no greater accelerant to the growing ingenuity gap existing between today’s collective capability and the complexity of the modern world than every object Apples produces. 
 
If it were true that children once grew their imagination by playing with the box their toys came with, then now they sit at the side of the skate-park and play angry birds and not understand anything else. [Academic point perhaps]
 
I've yet to meet anyone with an 'app' that's genuinely useful.  Favourite one so far is 'can't make up my mind what dress to wear so I'll tell my other equally vacant friends and they can help me' app. 

But I stand firm on this. 

 
Business leaders who mention such stories for me lack imagination, ambition and difference.  It’s lazy thinking. I also this its poor consultancy to cite Apple and all the other usual suspects in any document, advice, proposal or paper you're sending to them.  Anyone can do that.  In fact, I knew (know) a lovely lady when on being asked a stupid question from a client replies "let me Google that for you" as a reply to make a point on this.  nice one.

If you're in the consulting business. If you're in the instructional design business.  If you position yourself as an innovator, a creative or an entrepreneur (posh way of saying self-employed), then earn your wage.  Think hard. Ask questions no-one else is asking. Say the opposite. do the opposite - concentrate on DOING the things you advise your clients to DO and stop trying to be all clever and wise with some over quoted story about Apple.

they make phones and stuff you need to plug in and charge up.


It's the 21st Century.
We're supposed to have hover boards, flying cars, white teeth and live to 100.


go turn on the news channels.
fix THAT.


or are you to busy taking a picture of your dog and telling people you've found a new restaurant using a QR code.

No comments:

Post a Comment