Thursday 8 September 2011

2 of 3 to make up for lost time...

Was leaning on a lampost earlier in the week awaiting a colleague/chum...

An ex student bumped into me and in a few moments we caught up on each others lives.  He then happily trotted off into his future and left me still waiting for my mate. I hope it isn't another 7 or so years before we speak again, but unless we email each other or make an effort to do so, I fear it could be.

Got me thnking.

what is it that makes us want to keep in touch with some folk and not with others despite the intensity, joy and reward or relationships when they are present and in full swing?
My social circle is 100% (and I mean 100%) totally different to what it was 10 years ago, 5 years ago even and maybe a difference of 50% compared to last year...

Am I a fair weather friend?
are you?

At what point does 'I haven't spoke to John for ages' become 'I wont speak to John again?'

are we all juggling a human newtons cradle where onyl so many people can be part of your social connection.  I've read all the stats about 150 people in a social network and so on and part of me disagrees. I know plenty of people who know hundreds of others and successfully speak to them all.

Or am I in the illusion that such is the case? perhaps they just speak about who they know more often.

makes me think i'll get in touch with a few people in the same way I got called up the other week and how a student from 7 years past stopped his world for a few moments to brighten mine.

now, you go do the same and perhaps we'll all be closer.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment